South Florida IMA packed the Fort Lauderdale Antique Car Museum again last Thursday with Brian Solis leading an enthralling presentation of his book X: The Experience Where Business Meets Design, which sold out on-hand before the presentation began. Solis is known as an innovator and futurist when it comes to tailoring the customer experience to fit the consumer, and his presentation was nothing short of what we could expect from an influencer.
After a traditional hour of networking with other digital marketing agencies in South Florida, as well as brands, Solis led an engaging presentation that noted technology’s impact on humanity and how we must understand the technological effect on humanity in order to truly understand technology itself.
Key takeaways were:
- “To learn is to unlearn”
- Mobile is now dominating search with millisecond attention spans.
- Marketers and brands must learn storytelling to engage people.
- Know your audience; understand what it takes to engage your audience.
- Once you have their attention, you can influence the next action.
- “You can design for pews or you can design for engagement”. If people share your content, you are obliged to do something about it. People want engagement.
- Recognize disruption and turn it into innovation. Google recognizes disruption through Amazon reviews – people are inclined to listen to peer review rather than care about the brand now.
- Industry game changers like Uber changed the way we expect service and response. In New York, four minutes is too long to wait for an Uber, most people then turn to Lyft. Uber has changed the game in terms of what is reasonable and unreasonable, what is friction and frictionless. Teaches people that if it isn’t absolutely sensational, then it isn’t good enough.
- 90% of people in micro-moments have no brand in mind. 73% will gravitate towards whatever content gives the best answer for what they are searching for.
- Neuroplasticity – the more that you use your mobile phone, the better you get at finding answers.
To learn more about Brian Solis, Principal Analyst at Altimeter Group, a Prophet Company, be sure to check out his website www.briansolis.com and you can find more copies of his book on Amazon.
The South Florida Interactive Marketing Association brings local marketing professionals and brands together in one place, once a month, to network and learn from industry innovators and influencers on modern digital marketing and business practices. South Florida IMA serves as the primary interactive voice in South Florida, offering professional growth opportunities to marketers in Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach County. Follow us on Twitter @SFIMA and Instagram at SoFlo_IMA.